Special Strawberry Chocolate Cake
Special occasion and novelty chocolate cake
Sweeten any special occasion with this delicious chocolate cake. It can also be a lovely surprise for that special someone on Valentine ’s Day. The recipe is shared with us by ChocoCraft, creators of delicious chocolate cakes and chocolate gifts for all occasions.
- 175g/6oz/11/2 cups self-raising flour
- 10ml/2 tsp baking powder
- 75ml/ 5 tbsp cocoa powder
- 115g/4oz/1/2 cup caster sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 15ml/ 1 tbsp black treacle
- 150ml/1/4 pint/2/3 cup sunflower oil
- 150ml/1/4 pint/2/3 cup milk
FOR THE FILLING
- 45ml/ 3 tbsp strawberry jam
- 150ml/1/4 pint/2/3 cup double cream or whipping cream
- 115g/ 4oz strawberries, sliced
- 1 Quantity Chocolate Fondant chocolate hearts
- Icing sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 160oC/325oF/Gas 3 Grease a deep 20 cm/8 in heart-shaped cake tin and line the base with non-stick baking paper. Sift the self-raising flour baking powder and cocoa powder into a large mixing blow. Stir in the sugar, and then make a well in the Centre of the dry ingredients.
- Add the eggs, treacle
oil and milk to the well. Mix with a spoon to incorporate the dry ingredients, then beat with a hand-held electric mixer until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared cake tin and spread evenly. Bake for about 45 minutes, until well risen and firm to the touch. Cool in the tin for a few minutes, then turn out on to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Using a sharp knife, slice the cake neatly into two layers. Place the bottom layer on a board or plate. Spread with the strawberry jam.
- Whip the cream in a bowl. Stir in the strawberries, and then spread over the jam. Top with the remaining cake layer.
- Roll out the chocolate fondant and cover the cake. Decorate with chocolates hearts and dust with icing sugar.
You can also explore other chocolate cake recipes and yummy chocolate recipes here