Matzo Ball Soup Recipe
Matzo Ball Soup Recipe – A Chicken soup for the soul
So, I am watching television one night (Throw Down with Bobby Flay to be exact) and am intrigued baby these magical kosher delights. Out I go to pick up a few staples needed and a container of Manischewitz Matzo Meal. Three hours later and low and behind~ Almost as good as mama’s chicken Sicilian soup! All I have to say is BING!
***I have a few helpful tips along the way~
- 1 Whole Chicken – 5 lbs
- 3 Whole Carrots – chopped into thirds
- 4 Celery Stalks – chopped into thirds
- 1 Whole onion skin on – cut into half (skin provided color)
- 1 Whole leak – cut in half, rough top portion removed and cleaned under water.
- 1 Whole Parsnip – cut in half and quartered
Herbs and Seasoning
Make a bushel of herb with cheese cloth and string:
- 3 Sprigs of Thyme
- 2 Sprigs of Rosemary
- 2 Bay Leaves
- Salt and White Pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric for added darker color – optional
Place all of the vegetable ingratiates into a large Stock pot along with the chicken and herb bushel. Bring to a soft bowel and turn down the heat to low. Allow to simmer for 2 hours. Skim the top of broth to remove impurities. Remove the Chicken and pull the meat off the bone. Set aside. Next strain the broth to remove the vegetable pieces and set stock aside.
***Do not allow your liquid to come to a rapid boil. This will cloud the broth.
***If you want a darker color, add a teaspoon of turmeric
- 1 Cup Manischewitz Matzo Meal
- 4 Large Eggs
- 4 Tablespoons Vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 Tablespoons Chicken Broth
- 1 Tablespoon of finely chopped Italian parsley
Mix the Matzo Meal, Egg
Vegetable oil and Salt together. Next add the Chicken Broth and parsley. Stir until well incorporated. This will look like a loose batter. Cover and allow the Mazto meal to hydrate in the refrigerator for 20 minutes. The batter will thicken to a dough consistency.
Cooking the Matzo Balls:
***Use a small dab of vegetable oil on your hands to prevent the dough from sticking!
Roll the dough into small golf ball sized balls. Don’t worry they expand 2X-3X when cooked. Place balls into boiling water; they will sink at first then float. Cook for 20 minutes on a low boil. You may also finish them in the Broth for added flavor.
Brining it all together:
- 2 Whole Carrots Chopped
- 2 Stalks of Celery Chopped
Precook in boiling water or cook in your broth and prior to serving
Add broth, chicken, carrots, celery and matzo balls in a bowel, top with chopped parsley and enjoy to your matzo ball soup!