Role of massage therapy in the treatment of depression
Is it possible that massage therapy has a useful role in treatment of depression? To answer this question, read the article below.
Depression is defined in a dictionary in terms of Psychiatry is “A mental condition characterized by feelings of severe despondency and dejection, typically also with feelings of inadequacy and guilt, often accompanied by a lack of energy and disturbance of appetite and sleep.” Depression has become the most common mental disorder and more than 300 million people are suffering from it across the globe, irrespective of their age. Out of which, 800000 people die due to suicide every day; it is the second leading cause of death among youths.
Symptoms of depression:
- Decreased energy and fatigue
- Persistence sad, anxious and empty feelings
- Hopelessness or pessimism
- Restlessness and irritability
- Guilt, worthlessness, and helplessness – these feelings are constant
- Loss of interest in activities like – hobbies
- Facing issues with concentration or remembering details or making decisions
- Insomnia, excessive sleeping, or early morning wakefulness and other sleep disorders
- Appetite loss or excessive eating
- Suicide attempts
- Persistent aches, pains, headaches, cramps or digestive problems.
People have turned to traditional medication treatments, and are seeking positive outcomes for mind and body through massage therapies. The concern for mental health condition has become a serious issue throughout the globe. These massage therapies were first described in China about 3000 years ago
Around 400 BC, Greek healers used massage to treat sprains; many medical systems, like – Chinese medicine and India’s Ayurveda, developed their own version.
What is massage therapy?
During the sessions of massage therapies, a therapist will manipulate one’s muscles and other soft tissues, which enhances their function and promote relaxation. Massage therapies are believed to release hormones from one’s body through touch and create a sense of emotional connection
How do massage therapies work for depression?
When the muscles and connective tissues become stiff or rigid, it can result in pain and limits the movement of a person. Massage therapy can help in relieving this tension from one’s muscles and connective tissues. It also increases the blood flow in a person’s body and promotes relaxation.
If a person is depressed, then massage therapy probably won’t cure the condition, but may help relieve the physical symptoms associated with it
Back pain, joint pain, and muscle aches can’t be cured totally, but massage may help alleviate them. It also helps in relieving fatigue and sleeping problems.
According to research, massage therapy is helpful for:
- Improving mood
- Reduces depression
- Relief in chronic pain
- Relief in children having cancer
- Relief in children having HIV
- Pregnant women
- Cures back pain
- Helpful for women in labor
- Women having premenstrual dysphoric disorder
- Adults with multiple sclerosis
- People having high blood pressure
- People with chronic fatigue syndrome
- Adolescent mothers
- Women having breast cancer
What is the procedure of massage therapy?
The therapist will rub, stretch, and apply pressure to muscles in one’s body during the massage therapy. Some of the types of massage involve over the clothes touching, while others involve direct contact with the skin, mostly using scented oils. Some of the types involve acupuncture needles, warm stones, or complex twisting poses.
Some common types of massages are:
- Chair massage: This method includes sitting in a special chair and leaning forward into a headrest. The sessions are usually short and don’t require any removing of clothing.
- Swedish massage: This method involves applying smooth, circular, kneading actions to one’s muscles by the therapists.
- Deep tissue massage: This method is used by the therapists to treat tight muscles, caused by stress or other issues. This massage is focused on muscles closest to one’s bones and connective tissues.
- Reflexology: In this massage, the therapist will apply pressure to the areas of feet, which are believed to correspond with other organs of the body.
- Shiatsu: This technique involves firm pressure applied to specific points on one’s body, much like acupuncture. The pressure is firmer than any other massage type, but it rarely makes the body stiff.
- Aromatherapy: This massage therapy is combined with aromatherapy massage oils to help reduce stress and boost the energy.
- Hot stone massage: In this massage therapy, the therapist will place warm flat stones on one’s body to help relax the muscles. They will also apply pressure on the stones to relieve muscle tension.
The bottom line is…
If a person is a trained therapist, then they should have a proper clinic and can buy portable massage tables for sale and other types of equipment at reasonable prices. The massage therapy won’t provide long-term relief from depression but can alleviate the results. It doesn’thttps://allblogroll.com/massage-therapy-treatment-depression/https://allblogroll.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/massage-terapy.jpghttps://allblogroll.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/massage-terapy-150x150.jpgHealthHealth,Healthly,MassageIs it possible that massage therapy has a useful role in treatment of depression? To answer this question, read the article below.Depression is defined in a dictionary in terms of Psychiatry is “A mental condition characterized by feelings of severe despondency and dejection, typically also with feelings of inadequacy and...Anatoliy SimeonovAnatoliySimeonovanatoliy.firstname.lastname@example.orgAdministratorAll blogroll - The informative website